Monday, July 16, 2007

22 months - happy post

We have been going to speech therapy for a few weeks now. It is going ok. M is not thrilled but he is complying. It is so strange to look back and remember how young he really was when all this started. How much he had to deal with at such a young age.

It is February. M has been silent except for some grunting, what I call squeaking, and crying. At this time, we did not know the cause for all the crying. This is the happy side of 22 months old.

M says his first word this month. We were in the car driving down to see my parents. We have just crested a big hill on a major highway here and we are listening to a CD of the Little People singing. We have heard this several times and during the song "If you are Happy and You Know It", M says "Hurray" at the appropriate time. HOLY CRAP I almost crashed the car. I cannot begin to tell you how excited I was to hear him not only say a word but say it because he was listening. We got a lot of mileage from that song. We changed the words and added new movements to keep his attention.

I am not surprised now that his first word was to a song. Like I said above, I knew he could hear because he was so interested in Baby Bach and Baby Mozart. He was dancing and wiggling. I could get him to grab a toy that made music.

The first of many happy words we have heard since then. The words have been hard to come by so we try to celebrate each one. Although I am still waiting for that big language celebration.

We got a lot of mileage from that song. We changed the words and added new movements.

4 comments:

Snoskred said...

Hi, I'm Snoskred, I found you via Julie Pippert's blog. :) I have a nephew who is autistic.

I'm interested to read more about you and yours, so I have added you to my google reader (basically a feed reader, if you're not using google reader it's worth checking out), I've stumbled your site with stumbleupon and added you to my Technorati favorites, just so you know. ;)

I'll also mention you in my weekly wrap up post on Sunday and I'll be putting a link to you into my sidebar list of blogs I read via google reader.

Looking forward to reading more from you! ;)

Snoskred - has a new home at -
http://www.snoskred.org/

Christine said...

Popped over here via Julie. So glad I did. You have a wonderful place here and a beautiful boy.

Kyla said...

Over here from Julie's as well. Those first words (especially when you think they might not come) are amazing.

Julie Pippert said...

I can hear him saying HURRAY!

I remember how awesome that was.

And that show he loved, what was that? I remember that, too.